Record Unit 7210, Potomac-side Naturalists' Club, Records, circa 1858-1866
The Potomac-Side Naturalists' Club was founded by a group of Washington, D.C., area naturalists in 1858 to provide an informal organization for persons interested in natural history. The Club had no full set of officers, no regular meeting place, and no museum. Activities of the Club included meetings at members' homes, reading of papers, discussion of scientific matters, and occasional excursions. The Club disbanded in 1866 and was revived in 1873, only to be replaced by other Washington area scientific societies in the 1880s.