Finding Aids to Records of Professional Societies in the Smithsonian Institution Archives
Record Unit 7110
Baird Ornithological Club of Washington, D.C.
The Baird Ornithological Club was founded in 1922 by a group of Washington ornithologists for the advancement of Ornithological knowledge, and the furtherance of good fellowship among the members. The founders of the Club were: William Bonar Bell, Albert Kenrick Fisher, Henry Corbin Fuller, Edward Alphonso Goldman, Walter Cleaveland Henderson, Ned Hollister, Arthur H. Howell, Hartley H. T. Jackson, Edwin R. Kalmbach, Frederick C. Lincoln, Waldo Lee McAtee, Edward William Nelson, Harry Church Oberholser, Theodore Sherman Palmer, Edward Alexander Preble, Charles Wallace Richmond, Joseph H. Riley, Leonhard Stejneger, Bradshaw Hall Swales, Alexander Wetmore, and Robert White Williams.
This finding aid was digitized with funds generously provided by the Smithsonian Institution Women's Committee.
These records include minutes of the Club's meetings which were held several times each year. Meetings of the Club were not just meetings of a board, but also rather informal meetings of the membership. The minutes of the meetings often record discussions being carried on by members or guests.
This collection is indexed under the following access terms. These are links to collections with related topics, persons or places.
- Baird, Spencer Fullerton, 1823-1887
- Fisher, A. K. (Albert Kenrick), 1856-1948
- Dall, William Healey, 1845-1927
- Merriam, C. Hart (Clinton Hart), 1855-1942
- Stejneger, Leonhard, 1851-1943
- Bell, W. B. (William Bonar), 1877-1949
- Fuller, Henry Corbin, 1879-
- Goldman, Edward Alphonso, 1873-1946
- Henderson, Walter Cleaveland
- Hollister, N. (Ned), 1876-1924
- Howell, Arthur H. (Arthur Holmes), 1872-1940
- Jackson, Hartley H. T. (Hartley Harrad Thompson), 1881-1976
- Kalmbach, E. R. (Edwin Richard), 1884-1972
- Lincoln, Frederick Charles, 1892-1960
- McAtee, W. L. (Waldo Lee), 1883-1962
- Nelson, Edward William, 1855-1934
- Oberholser, Harry C. (Harry Church), 1870-1963
- Palmer, T. S. (Theodore Sherman), 1868-1955
- Preble, Edward Alexander, 1871-1957
- Richmond, Charles Wallace, 1868-1932
- Riley, Joseph Harvey, 1873-1941
- Swales, Bradshaw Hall, 1875-
- Wetmore, Alexander, 1886-1978
- Williams, R. W. (Robert White), 1877-1940
- Baird Ornithological Club of Washington, D.C.
Physical Characteristics of Materials in the Collection
Smithsonian Institution Archives, Record Unit 7110, Baird Ornithological Club of Washington, D.C., Records