Finding Aids to Official Records of the Smithsonian Institution Archives
Record Unit 616
Smithsonian Institution. Office of the Secretary. Secretary's Executive Committee
Shortly after S. Dillon Ripley became the Smithsonian Institution's eighth Secretary in 1964, he created a group of advisors named the Secretariat. It was composed of the Secretary, Assistant Secretary, Director General of Museums, Assistant Secretary for Science, Assistant Secretary for History and Art, Assistant Secretary for Public Service, Treasurer, Director of the Office of Academic Programs, General Counsel, Director of the Office of Personnel and Management Resources, the Assistant to the Secretary, the Public Affairs Officer, the Director of the Office of International Activities, and the Secretary's Executive Assistant. From this committee the Secretary obtained such information and advice as he wished in making operating decisions for the Smithsonian. In 1971, as a result of a study of management practices at the Institution, the Secretary streamlined this group, renaming it the Executive Committee. Its members were the Assistant Secretaries for Science, History and Art, and Public Service; the Treasurer, the Executive Officer for Supporting Services, and, ex officio, the General Counsel. The new committee continued to advise the Secretary and was also given more responsibility for making decisions than its predecessor.
These records consist chiefly of minutes of the Executive Committee's discussions of policy issues presented to the Institution.
This collection is indexed under the following access terms. These are links to collections with related topics, persons or places.
- Ripley, S. Dillon (Sidney Dillon), 1913-2001
- Smithsonian Institution -- Administration
- Smithsonian Institution. Office of the Secretary. Secretariat
- Smithsonian Institution. Assistant Secretary
- United States National Museum. Director General of Museums
- Smithsonian Institution. Assistant Secretary for Science
- Smithsonian Institution. Assistant Secretary for History and Art
- Smithsonian Institution. Assistant Secretary for Public Service
- Smithsonian Institution. Office of the Treasurer
- Smithsonian Institution. Office of Academic Programs
- Smithsonian Institution. Office of General Counsel
- Smithsonian Institution. Office of Personnel and Management Resources
- Smithsonian Institution. Assistant to the Secretary
- Smithsonian Institution. Public Relations Officer
- Smithsonian Institution. Office of International Activities
- Smithsonian Institution. Office of the Secretary. Executive Assistant to the Secretary
Physical Characteristics of Materials in the Collection
Smithsonian Institution Archives, Record Unit 616, Smithsonian Institution, Office of the Secretary, Secretary's Executive Committee, Minutes