Finding Aids to Official Records of the Smithsonian Institution Archives
Record Unit 587
Smithsonian Institution. Office of Telecommunications
Productions, circa 1963-1989
This record unit consists of 16mm motion picture films produced by the Office of Telecommunications (OTC) and its predecessors, the Smithsonian Museum Service, the Office of Public Information, and the Office of Public Affairs. Also included are films created by outside producers in collaboration with OTC. Included are black and white and color films, workprints, and silent films. Of special interest are films of Smithsonian special events, bureaus, facilities, equipment, exhibitions, openings, and staff; films of politicians and celebrities at the Smithsonian including Lyndon Baines Johnson and Lady Bird Johnson, Richard M. Nixon, Hubert H. Humphrey, and Alan B. Shepard, Jr.; films from the 1966 National Broadcasting Corporation series THE SMITHSONIAN; and Smithsonian-produced films The Leaf Thieves, 1963, which documents the planning and fabrication of a proposed rain forest exhibition in the National Museum of Natural History (NMNH), and The Smithsonian's Whale, 1964, which concerns the construction of a 92-foot model blue whale in NMNH.
Restrictions pertaining to the use of these materials may apply (based on contracts/copyright). Access restrictions may also apply if viewing copies are not currently available. Viewing copies can be made for a fee. Contact reference staff for details.
This collection is indexed under the following access terms. These are links to collections with related topics, persons or places.
- Johnson, Lyndon B. (Lyndon Baines), 1908-1973
- Johnson, Lady Bird, 1912-2007
- Nixon, Richard M. (Richard Milhous), 1913-1994
- Humphrey, Hubert H. (Hubert Horatio), 1911-1978
- Shepard, Alan B. (Alan Bartlett), 1923-1998
- Smithsonian Museum Service
- Smithsonian Institution. Office of Public Affairs
- Smithsonian Institution. Office of Public Information
- National Broadcasting Company, Inc.
- British Broadcasting Corporation
- National Museum of Natural History (U.S.)
- Smithsonian (Television program)
- Ascent of Man (Television program)
- Leaf Thieves (Motion picture : 1963)
- Smithsonian's Whale (Motion picture : 1964)
- Motion pictures -- Production and direction
- Documentary films
- Television -- Production and direction
- Documentary television programs
Physical Characteristics of Materials in the Collection
Smithsonian Institution Archives, Record Unit 587, Smithsonian Institution. Office of Telecommunications, Productions