Record Unit 535, Smithsonian Institution, Press, Records, 1941-1975
Webster Prentiss True, who had previously served the Institution as Editor, 1919-1939, was given the title of Chief of the Editorial Division in 1940. A separate Publications Division was responsible for the actual reproduction of manuscripts. On True's retirement, Paul H. Oehser, who had been Editor for the United States National Museum since 1931, was appointed Chief and served from 1951 to 1953. In 1954 the two divisions were combined as the Editorial and Publications Division, with Oehser as Chief. He held this post through 1965. In 1966 the Division was renamed the Smithsonian Institution Press, with Anders Richter as Director. Richter held the position through 1970, when Gordon Hubel became Director, serving 1970- .