Finding Aids to Official Records of the Smithsonian Institution Archives
Record Unit 526
Smithsonian Institution. Assistant Secretary for Research
Records, circa 1973-1990
Robert S. Hoffmann succeeded David Challinor as Assistant Secretary for Research and served 1988- .
These records consist primarily of administrative files of the Assistant Secretary for Research, 1987-1990, documenting his responsibility for the National Air and Space Museum, the National Museum of Natural History, the National Zoological Park, the Smithsonian Environmental Research Center, the Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory, the Smithsonian Institution Archives, the Office of Fellowships and Grants, the Office of International Activities, the Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute, the Smithsonian Institution Libraries, and related environmental groups and projects. Only the Panama Canal Alternatives Study, 1973-1983, predates 1984. Of special interest are records documenting the closing of the Radiation Biology Laboratory in Rockville, Maryland.
This collection is indexed under the following access terms. These are links to collections with related topics, persons or places.
- Hoffmann, Robert S.
- Challinor, David, 1920-2008
- National Air and Space Museum (U.S.)
- Smithsonian Institution -- Administration
- National Museum of Natural History (U.S.)
- National Zoological Park (U.S.)
- Smithsonian Environmental Research Center
- Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory
- Smithsonian Institution. Archives
- Smithsonian Institution. Office of Fellowships and Grants
- Smithsonian Institution. Office of International Activities
- Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute
- Smithsonian Institution. Libraries
- Smithsonian Radiation Biology Laboratory
Physical Characteristics of Materials in the Collection
Smithsonian Institution Archives, Record Unit 526, Smithsonian Institution, Assistant Secretary for Research, Records