Finding Aids to Official Records of the Smithsonian Institution Archives
Record Unit 473
National Museum of American History. Division of Political History
Records, circa 1960-1982
These records consist of curatorial correspondence and memoranda pertaining to acquisitions, collections management, restoration of specimens, and exhibition proposals and installation. Also included are public inquiries concerning exhibits, political campaign items, presidential information, American politicians, and inaugural gowns of the First Ladies; records documenting the Division of Political History's preparation of the States section for 1876: A Centennial Exhibition at the Arts and Industries Building; exhibition photographs, scripts, and concepts for the Hall of American Costume, the First Ladies Hall, and the Hall of Historic Americans; documentation referring to plans for the Bicentennial of the American Revolution exhibit, We the People; subject files about the United States Presidents; and research notes of Herbert R. Collins for his publications Presidents on Wheels, Threads of History, and Wills of the United States Presidents.
This collection is indexed under the following access terms. These are links to collections with related topics, persons or places.
- Collins, Herbert Ridgeway, 1932-
- Washburn, Wilcomb E.
- Klapthor, Margaret Brown
- Mayo, Edith
- Melder, Keith E.
- Murray, Anne Wood
- Kidwell, Claudia Brush
- Arts and Industries Building (Washington, D.C.)
- National Museum of History and Technology (U.S.). Hall of American Costume
- National Museum of History and Technology (U.S.). First Ladies Hall
- National Museum of American History (U.S.). Hall of Historic Americans
- 1876: A Centennial Exhibition (Exhibition) (1976: Washington, D.C.)
- American Revolution Bicentennial, 1776-1976
- We the People (Exhibition) (1976: Washington, D.C.)
- Presidents on Wheels
- Threads of History
- Wills of the United States Presidents
Physical Characteristics of Materials in the Collection
Smithsonian Institution Archives, Record Unit 473, National Museum of American History. Division of Political History, Records