Finding Aids to Official Records of the Smithsonian Institution Archives
Record Unit 417
National Museum of Natural History. Division of Worms
Records, 1965-1975, with related materials from circa 1920
The Division of Worms was established on July 1, 1965, as a result of an administrative reorganization in the Department of Invertebrate Zoology. Prior to 1965, the national collection of worms was under the care of the Division of Marine Invertebrates.
Professional staff of the Division of Worms included Meredith Leam Jones, Associate Curator and Curator, 1965- ; Marian H. Pettibone, Associate Curator and Curator, 1965- ; W. Duane Hope, Associate Curator and Curator, 1965- ; and Mary E. Rice, Associate Curator and Curator, 1965- .
These records primarily document activities of the Division of Worms from its establishment in 1965 until 1975. They include correspondence concerning the identification, exchange, and distribution of specimens, professional activities of staff members, and administrative matters; files concerning W. Duane Hope's work as an officer of the Association of Meiobenthologists; and an information file on worms, compiled by the Division of Marine Invertebrates, which contains newspaper clippings, articles, and correspondence of Waldo LaSalle Schmitt.
This collection is indexed under the following access terms. These are links to collections with related topics, persons or places.
- Jones, Meredith L.
- Pettibone, Marian H.
- Hope, W. Duane, 1935-
- Rice, Mary E.
- Schmitt, Waldo L. (Waldo Lasalle), 1887-1977
- International Association of Meiobenthologists
- National Museum of Natural History (U.S.). Division of Marine Invertebrates
- National Museum of Natural History (U.S.). Department of Invertebrate Zoology
Physical Characteristics of Materials in the Collection
Smithsonian Institution Archives, Record Unit 417, National Museum of Natural History. Division of Worms, Records