Finding Aids to Official Records of the Smithsonian Institution Archives
Record Unit 393
Smithsonian Institution. Assistant Secretary for Research
Records, 1985-1987, with related records from 1974 to 1987
These records document the operation of the Office of the Assistant Secretary for Research, which is responsible for overseeing the Institution's research activities in its various museums, the National Zoological Park, the Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory, the Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute, and the Smithsonian Environmental Research Center. Records include budget and fiscal reports, research reports and research proposals from bureaus under the Office's jurisdiction.
The records also document the work of John H. Falk, a Special Assistant to the Assistant Secretary for Research, who also was on the staffs of the Chesapeake Bay Center for Environmental Studies and the Smithsonian Office of Educational Research.
This record unit also documents the activities of the Neotropical Lowlands Research Program, known before 1981 as the Amazon Ecosystem Research Program, and its principal investigators, Clifford Evans, Jr., and W. Ronald Heyer.
Note: From inception through FY 1981, this program was entitled "Amazon Ecosystem Research Program (AERP)." From FY 1982 -- present, the program was renamed "Neotropical Lowlands Research Program (NLRP)."
This collection is indexed under the following access terms. These are links to collections with related topics, persons or places.
- Falk, John H. (John Howard), 1948-
- Evans, Clifford, 1920-1981
- Heyer, W. Ronald
- Challinor, David, 1920-2008
- National Zoological Park (U.S.)
- Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory
- Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute
- Smithsonian Environmental Research Center
- Smithsonian Institution -- Administration
- Chesapeake Bay Center for Environmental Studies
- Smithsonian Institution. Office of Educational Research
- Neotropical Lowlands Research Program
- Smithsonian Institution. Amazon Ecosystem Research Program
Physical Characteristics of Materials in the Collection
Smithsonian Institution Archives, Record Unit 393, Smithsonian Institution, Assistant Secretary for Research, Records