Finding Aids to Official Records of the Smithsonian Institution Archives
Record Unit 158
United States National Museum
Curators' Annual Reports, 1881-1964
The administration of the United States National Museum required curators to submit regular reports on the activities of the departments, divisions, and sections. Prior to about 1900 these reports were often made monthly and semiannually as well as annually. The reports were traditionally submitted to the Director of the National Museum to be used in preparing the published Annual Report of the United States National Museum. The individual reports, however, were not reproduced in their entirety in the published Annual Report and generally contain more information than is to be found in the published version.
Reports were stored by the Office of Correspondence and Reports (later known as the Office of Correspondence and Documents), and then by the Office of the Registrar.
Includes reports submitted to the Director of the United States National Museum by curators and administrators.
This collection is indexed under the following access terms. These are links to collections with related topics, persons or places.
- Goode, G. Brown (George Brown), 1851-1896
- Walcott, Charles D., (Charles Doolittle), 1850-1927
- Rathbun, Richard, 1852-1918
- Ravenel, W. de C. (William de Chastignier), 1859-1933
- Wetmore, Alexander, 1886-1978
- Kellogg, Remington, 1892-1969
- Taylor, Frank A. (Frank Augustus), 1903-2007
- Baird, Spencer Fullerton, 1823-1887
- Smithsonian Institution -- Administration
Physical Characteristics of Materials in the Collection
Smithsonian Institution Archives, Record Unit 158, United States National Museum, Curators' Annual Reports