Finding Aids to Official Records of the Smithsonian Institution Archives
Record Unit 145
Smithsonian Institution. Assistant Secretary for Public Service
Subject Files, 1961-1974
The Office of the Assistant Secretary for Public Service was established in 1968. William Warner was appointed Acting Assistant Secretary for Public Service at that time; within a year he was appointed to the position on a permanent basis.
Prior to his appointment as Acting Assistant Secretary, Mr. Warner was the Consultant to the Secretary for International Activities (1964), Special Assistant to the Secretary for International Activities (1965), and the Director of the Office of International Activities (1966).
The Assistant Secretary for Public Service is in charge of the following Smithsonian bureaus: the Smithsonian Associates, the Office of Public Affairs, the Office of International Activities, the Division of Performing Arts, the Smithsonian Museum Shops, the Belmont Conference Center, and the SI Press.
The records are arranged in four alphabetic series, in the order in which they were received from the originating office. The series overlap in chronology and subject matter and are probably just segments of one general alphabetic subject file that was haphazardly weeded and separated as parts of the file became non-current.
Much of the pre-1968 material included in the records is material which Mr. Warner brought with him from his previous assignment as Assistant to the Secretary for International Activities. Others are files (mainly those relating to the Anacostia Neighborhood Museum) of Charles Blitzer (as Assistant Secretary for History and Art and as Director of Education and Training) which were transferred to Mr. Warner's office as responsibility for the Anacostia program was shifted.
This collection is indexed under the following access terms. These are links to collections with related topics, persons or places.
- Warner, William W.
- Blitzer, Charles
- Euell, Julian
- Smithsonian Institution. Office of International Activities
- Anacostia Neighborhood Museum
- Smithsonian Institution. Assistant Secretary for History and Art
- Smithsonian Institution. Office of Education and Training
- Smithsonian Institution -- Administration
- Smithsonian Associates
- Smithsonian Institution. Office of Public Affairs
- Smithsonian Institution. Division of Performing Arts
- Smithsonian Institution. Press
- Smithsonian Institution. Office of Elementary and Secondary Education
- Smithsonian Institution. Office of Symposia and Seminars
- Reading is Fundamental, Inc.
- Smithsonian Institution. Museum Shops
- Belmont Conference Center (Elk Ridge, Md.)
- Smithsonian Magazine
Physical Characteristics of Materials in the Collection
Smithsonian Institution Archives, Record Unit 145, Smithsonian Institution, Assistant Secretary for Public Service, Subject Files