Finding Aids to Official Records of the Smithsonian Institution Archives
Record Unit 77
International Catalogue of Scientific Literature
The International Catalogue of Scientific Literature was established by three international conferences in London in 1896, 1898, and 1900. Data collection began in 1901, and publications were issued annually until 1916; some activities, although not publication, resumed again after the First World War. The Smithsonian became the United States Bureau of the Catalogue in 1901, at first funding it by private funds and, after 1906, by special federal appropriations. Cyrus Adler, Librarian of the Smithsonian, encouraged the Smithsonian's participation and directed the Bureau's activities in the early years; he was succeeded by Leonard C. Gunnell. The titles of the Bureau's directors varied over the years, from assistant secretary to assistant-in-charge. The Smithsonian discontinued the Bureau in 1933.
These records contain correspondence about the formation of the International Catalogue, planning and operation of the reporting system, and the circumstances of the Catalogue's demise.
This collection is indexed under the following access terms. These are links to collections with related topics, persons or places.
Physical Characteristics of Materials in the Collection
Smithsonian Institution Archives, Record Unit 77, International Catalogue of Scientific Literature, Records