Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory
The Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory was established by Columbia University in 1949 as the Lamont Geological Observatory. The observatory was named after Thomas W. Lamont (1870-1948), an alumna of Columbia University who had donated his estate to the University at his death. Name changes occurred in 1969 and 1993. The first name change was in honor of a large donation from the Henry L. and Grace Doherty Charitable Foundation, and the second name change reflected the Observatory's "growing scope of expertise." Research conducted by the Lamont Geological Observatory encompasses the full range of earth sciences including a large oceanographic collection.