National Museum of Natural History (U.S.) Dept. of Botany

Close
Usage Conditions Apply
The Smithsonian Institution Archives welcomes personal and educational use of its collections unless otherwise noted. For commercial uses, please contact photos@si.edu.
Print

Narrow Your Results

Reset

Filter Your Results

Smithsonian Secretaries Information

Close Browse records and papers of the Smithsonian Secretaries, from 1846 until today. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by individuals who have held that office.

Expeditions Information

Close Browse records and papers documenting scientific and collecting expeditions either affiliated with the Smithsonian, or with which Smithsonian researchers participated. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by geographic regions predominantly represented in expedition records.

Professional Societies Information

Close Browse records of professional societies closely associated with the Smithsonian, that focus on areas of scientific research and museum studies. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by major topics and disciplines.
 

Parent Organization

National Museum of Natural History (U.S.)

Description

The Department of Botany was established in 1947 as part of a reorganization in the United States National Museum (USNM). At that time, the Division of Plants, USNM became the new Department of Botany. The Department initially consisted of Divisions of Cryptogams, Grasses, and Phanerogams. Other divisions were established at later dates and included Ferns, 1948; Woods, 1960 (abolished in 1962); Plant Anatomy, 1962 (abolished in 1990); and Palynology, 1974. Around 1991, divisions ceased to exist as administrative structures within the Department of Botany. Ellsworth Paine Killip, Curator in the Division of Plants, USNM, was appointed the first Head Curator of the Department of Botany in 1947. In 1964, the title of the administrative head of the Department was changed to Chairman. Head Curators and Chairmen of the Department of Botany have included Killip, 1947-1950; Jason Richard Swallen, 1950-1965; William Louis Stern, 1965-1967; Mason E. Hale, 1967-1970; Edward S. Ayensu, 1970-1976; Dieter C. Wasshausen, 1976-1982; Mark M. Littler, 1982-1987; Laurence E. Skog, 1987-1992; Warren Lambert Wagner, 1992-1997; and W. John Kress, 1997-. Curators and research staff of the Department of Botany since 1991 have included Pedro Acevedo-Rodriguez, Associate Curator, 1991- ; Robert B. Faden, Associate Curator, 1991- ; Maria A. Faust, Associate Curator, 1991- ; V.A. Funk, Curator, 1991- ; W. John Kress, Associate Curator, 1991- ; David B. Lellinger, Curator, 1991- ; Mark M. Littler, Senior Botanist, 1991- ; Dan H. Nicolson, Curator, 1991- ; James N. Norris, Curator, 1991- ; Joan W. Nowicke, Curator, 1991- ; Paul M. Peterson, Associate Curator, 1991- ; Harold Ernest Robinson, Curator, 1991- ; Stanwyn G. Shetler, Curator and Botanist Emeritus, 1991- ; Laurence E. Skog, Curator, 1991- ; Warren Lambert Wagner, Curator, 1991- ; Dieter C. Wasshausen, Curator, 1991- ; J.J. Wurdack, Botanist Emeritus, 1991-1998; Elizabeth A. Zimmer, Associate Curator, 1991- ; Paula T. DePriest, Associate Curator, 1992- ; Laurence J. Dorr, Associate Curator, 1992- ; and Ernani G. Menez, Curator and Botanist Emeritus, 1992-.

From

1947

Topic

Form/Genre

Organization name