I wrote a post when I first started working here a few years ago about what a photograph archivist does and very briefly referenced the photographic collections I manage and attempt wholeheartedly to control. While I do share images from these collections here weekly, I have never actually talked about the collections themselves, so I thought I’d take the opportunity to briefly discuss the history of the Smithsonian Photographic Services cold storage vault before following up with a series of blog posts that examine each of these collections in greater depth, and illuminates the abounding wealth of Smithsonian history we have to share.
In 2008, Smithsonian Photographic Services, along with its cold storage vault became a part of Smithsonian Institution Archives. As managers of its content, the Archives continues to store numerous collections for other archival units and has cultivated unique partnerships with the colleagues we serve to best meet their individual needs in terms of access and digitization. We have also accessioned all of the collections that were created by Smithsonian photographers and are working to establish intellectual control over these remarkable bodies of work.
The collections within the cold storage vault contain a comprehensive visual history of the Smithsonian that documents artifacts, events, exhibits, anthropological studies, and scientific research. These images capture a microcosm of all the amazing work that has occurred at the Smithsonian practically since we opened our doors. In future posts, I’ll go into more detail about each of these collections to properly champion the hidden wonders of these vast and amazing resources.
- What Does a Photograph Archivist Do?, The Bigger Picture blog, Smithsonian Institution Archives
- Cabinet of Curiosities, The Bigger Picture blog, Smithsonian Institution Archives
- Care, Handling and Storage of Photographs, Library of Congress
- Accession 11-006 - United States National Museum, Division of Graphic Arts, Photograph Collection, 1860-1960, Smithsonian Institution Archives
- Accession 11-007 - United States National Museum, Division of Graphic Arts, Photograph Collection, 1860-1960, Smithsonian Institution Archives
- Accession 11-008 - Office of Public Affairs, Photographic Collection, 1960-1970, Smithsonian Institution Archives
- Accession 11-009 - Smithsonian Photographic Services, Photographic Collection, 1971-2006, Smithsonian Institution Archives