- I’ve really been enjoying this collection of 1940s photographs and footage of Tibet profiled on the Smithsonian Collections blog, and hailing from the Smithsonian’s Human Studies Film Archives.
- Folklorist and ethnomusicologist Alan Lomax’s dream of a “global jukebox” for his incredible music collections comes true: his vast archive is now available online [via Marvin Heiferman].
- How you can turn 19th century photos into animated GIFs [via Lynda Schmitz Fuhrig, SIA].
- Registration is now open for a Smithsonian Tweetup featuring a behind the scenes tour of some of the Smithsonian’s collections storage on Wednesday, February 15 at 12:30 to 4:30 pm in honor of Social Media Week.
- One of our favorite Commons Members, Penny, has recommendations for using Flickr Commons images for Valentine’s Day crafts.
- A little bit of found Smithsonian history: original 1966 newsreel footage of President LBJ accepting the Joseph H. Hirshhorn donation of his art collection, which now forms the cornerstone of the Smithsonian’s Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden collections:
Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden - Art donated to United States Newsreel, via Public Domain Footage.