A couple of months ago, the Smithsonian launched a national advertising campaign to highlight the “Seriously Amazing” research, discoveries, and stories across the Smithsonian’s museums, research centers, libraries, archives, and the National Zoo. Brightly colored billboards posed quirky questions whose answers can be found at the Smithsonian. Answers to some of the questions can be found hidden in the collections of the Archives.
See what you know and if you get stuck, search in the collections for clues!
1. Which Smithsonian museum also served as a bachelor pad for rowdy young scientists?
2. What would my great-grandfather have seen at the Smithsonian in 1855 when it first opened?
3. What did Alexander Graham Bell know about the dead body in the Smithsonian Castle?
4. What is one secret the Smithsonian might never uncover?
5. What real-life monster mystery was solved at the Smithsonian?
6. What cutting-edge 19th Century military intelligence technology did the Smithsonian help pioneer?
- Marketing and the Smithson Bicentennial, The Bigger Picture Blog, Smithsonian Institution Archives