News Releases & Fact Sheet
Learn more about the Smithsonian Institution Archives and browse recent news.
Smithsonian Archives Short Fact Sheet
- Collections at the Smithsonian Institution Archives: 38,000 cubic feet
- Collections available online: 19,000 collection guides, digitized images, documents, and publications.
- Number of collections including born digital material: 452
- Reference inquiries answered in 2011: 5,587 in person visits, emails, phone calls, and US post mail.
- Current topics studied at the Archives:
- The historical architectural records of the Arts & Industries Building
- Changing views of feral animals by Smithsonian and Department of Interior biologists
- The Smithsonian during the Civil War
- Portrayal of disability and accommodation of disability in Smithsonian exhibits
- Alice Pike Barney and her efforts to transform Washington, D.C., into the nation's cultural capital in the early 20th century
View entire Fact Sheet on the Smithsonian Institution Archives.
Smithsonian Institution Archives News Releases
- Field Book Project Releases Previously Unpublished Scientific Records Documenting Biological Specimen Online , December 19, 2012
- Smithsonian Institution Archives Hosts Wikipedian in Residence and Outreach Events with Wikipedia Volunteers, March 26, 2012
- Smithsonian Institution Archives Receives a Smithsonian Women’s Committee Grant to Support the Digitization of Scientific Field Books, March 23, 2012
- Smithsonian Institution Archives Launches a New Website, September 12, 2011
- Smithsonian Institution Archives Releases New and Rare Photos of the Scopes Trial, July 11, 2011
- Smithsonian Institution Archives Receives Major Grants to Support Collections Access and Care, June 20, 2011
- Smithsonian Institution’s Archives Celebrate American Archives Month 2010 with Smithsonian Archives Fair Friday, Oct. 22, September 15, 2010
- Smithsonian Photography Initiative Announces Its New Blog “The Bigger Picture,” April 13, 2009
- Smithsonian Institution Shares Photographs on The Commons on Flickr, June 18, 2008
Interior of OPPS' cold storage vault