News Releases & Fact Sheet
Learn more about the Smithsonian Institution Archives and browse recent news.
Smithsonian Archives Short Fact Sheet
- Collections at the Smithsonian Institution Archives: 39,000 cubic feet
- Collections available online: 20,800 collection guides, digitized images, documents, and publications.
- Number of collections including born digital material: 667
- Reference inquiries answered in Fiscal Year 2013: 6,091 in person visits, emails, phone calls, and US post mail.
- Current topics studied at the Archives:
- The Smithsonian's entry to the internet in the 1990s.
- Women and innovation
- The history or ornithology
- Exhibits at the National Museum of Natural History
- Kathleen Mary Drew-Baker and her research on edible seaweed
View entire Fact Sheet on the Smithsonian Institution Archives.
Smithsonian Institution Archives News Releases
- Field Book Project Releases Previously Unpublished Scientific Records Documenting Biological Specimen Online , December 19, 2012
- Smithsonian Institution Archives Hosts Wikipedian in Residence and Outreach Events with Wikipedia Volunteers, March 26, 2012
- Smithsonian Institution Archives Receives a Smithsonian Women’s Committee Grant to Support the Digitization of Scientific Field Books, March 23, 2012
- Smithsonian Institution Archives Launches a New Website, September 12, 2011
- Smithsonian Institution Archives Releases New and Rare Photos of the Scopes Trial, July 11, 2011
- Smithsonian Institution Archives Receives Major Grants to Support Collections Access and Care, June 20, 2011
- Smithsonian Institution’s Archives Celebrate American Archives Month 2010 with Smithsonian Archives Fair Friday, Oct. 22, September 15, 2010
- Smithsonian Photography Initiative Announces Its New Blog “The Bigger Picture,” April 13, 2009
- Smithsonian Institution Shares Photographs on The Commons on Flickr, June 18, 2008
Interior of OPPS' cold storage vault