Greetings from the Smithsonian


Smithsonian Institution Building

The Smithsonian Institution Building, also known as the Castle, was designed by James Renwick, Jr., and was constructed between 1847 and 1855. The fire of January 1865 destroyed the second floor of the main building, and the South Tower was extensively damaged. The roof of the North Tower was also destroyed and was not replaced until 1970. This assortment of postcards shows the Castle at different times in its long history, with the building remaining much the same, but with the landscaping around it changing.      sib4x.jpg - 24588 Bytes
c. 1898-1901
 
sib7x.jpg - 15714 Bytes
c. 1898-1901
     sib2x.jpg - 17475 Bytes
c. 1910
     sib1x.jpg - 23553 Bytes
c. 1912
 
sib8x.jpg - 22339 Bytes
c. 1930-1944
     sib9x.jpg - 23206 Bytes
c. 1918
     sibe2x.jpg - 21325 Bytes
c. 1898-1901
 
sib6x.jpg - 23072 Bytes
c. 1915-1930
     sibe3x.jpg - 15816 Bytes
c. 1901-1907
     sibe4x.jpg - 19539 Bytes
c. 1912
 
sibe1x.jpg - 19172 Bytes
c. 1945
     sib3x.jpg - 19459 Bytes
c. 1940
     sib5x.jpg - 15815 Bytes
c. 1964
 

Next ~ Back
~ Home ~

~Smithsonian Building ~ Arts & Industries Building ~ National Museum of Natural History ~
~ Exhibitions ~ The Mall ~ Freer Gallery of Art ~ Patent Office Building ~
~ National Museum of American History ~ Other Buildings ~
~ Chronology ~ Messages on Postcards ~

~ Exhibits on Smithsonian History ~ Institutional History Division ~

Smithsonian Institution Archives, Institutional History Division