Greetings from the Smithsonian


titlepatent.gif - 5196 Bytes

An assortment of postcards of the United States Patent Office Building, now the home of the National Portrait Gallery and the Smithsonian American Art Museum. Construction of the building began in 1836 and was completed in 1867. In 1958 the building was transferred to the Smithsonian Institution, which saved it from being destroyed and replaced by a parking lot. The building was extensively restored and reopened in 1968 housing the Portrait Gallery and Museum of American Art.      patent1x.jpg - 18537 Bytes
c. 1907
 
patent3x.jpg - 29139 Bytes
1905
     patent2x.jpg - 20915 Bytes
c. 1906
 
patent4x.jpg - 15378 Bytes
c. 1898-1901
     patent5x.jpg - 21667 Bytes
c. 1898-1901
     patent6x.jpg - 19421 Bytes
c. 1917
 
patent7x.jpg - 20094 Bytes
c. 1907-1914
     patent8x.jpg - 19838 Bytes
c. 1908

Next ~ Back
~ Home ~

~Smithsonian Building ~ Arts & Industries Building ~ National Museum of Natural History ~
~ Exhibitions ~ The Mall ~ Freer Gallery of Art ~ Patent Office Building ~
~ National Museum of American History ~ Other Buildings ~
~ Chronology ~ Messages on Postcards ~

~ Exhibits on Smithsonian History ~ Institutional History Division ~

Smithsonian Institution Archives, Institutional History Division