Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden
S. Dillon Ripley, the eighth Secretary of the Smithsonian, wanted the Smithsonian to have a contemporary art museum. He worked tirelessly to persuade Joseph H. Hirshhorn (1899-1981) to donate his collections to the Smithsonian. On November 7, 1966, the collections of Hirshhorn officially came under the auspices of the Smithsonian. The Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden opened to the public on October 4, 1974. The postcards in this gallery show works that are or have previously been at the Hirshhorn.