The rotunda at the center of the building opened on to the four large halls. In 1890, the Statue of Freedom by sculptor Thomas Crawford was installed in the Rotunda. This was the plaster figure used to cast the statue on the United States Capitol dome. The Haviland Memorial Vase can be seen to the right.
Smithsonian Institution Archives,
Neg. Number 16852
|1 of 19|