Narrow Your Results
Filter Your Results
Smithsonian Museum & Research Centers InformationClose Browse records and papers documenting the history and research of major Smithsonian divisions. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by museum or research center.
Personal Papers InformationClose Browse papers and special collections created by institutions and persons who have contributed to and collaborated with the Smithsonian. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by major topics and disciplines.
Smithsonian Records InformationClose Browse official records created at the Smithsonian Institution’s museums, research centers, libraries, and archives, now in the Smithsonian Institution Archives’ collections. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by major topics or disciplines.
Charles Valentine Riley
- Charles Valentine Riley
- c. 1870s
- Charles Valentine Riley, 1843-1895, an entomologist, served as Honorary Curator of the United States National Museum's insect collection from 1882 to 1895. In 1877, he was instrumental in creating the U.S. Entomological Commission. In 1878 was appointed Entomologist of the United States and directed the Bureau of Entomology at the United States Department of Agriculture. He donated his entomological collection to the Smithsonian and served as honorary curator here concurrently with his position at the USDA
- No restrictions
- United States Entomological Commission, Entomologists, Portraits
- Riley, Charles V (Charles Valentine) 1843-1895, United States National Museum Dept. of Entomology, National Museum of Natural History (U.S.), United States Dept. of Agriculture, United States National Museum
- Historic Images of the Smithsonian
- Stereoscopic view
- Local Number:
- 10583 or NHB-10583
- Physical Description:
- Color: Black and White; Size: 4w x 6h; Type of Image: Portrait; Medium: Stereo view
- Full Record:
Using the Archives' Collections