Narrow Your Results
Filter Your Results
Smithsonian Museum & Research Centers InformationClose Browse records and papers documenting the history and research of major Smithsonian divisions. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by museum or research center.
Expeditions InformationClose Browse records and papers documenting scientific and collecting expeditions either affiliated with the Smithsonian, or with which Smithsonian researchers participated. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by geographic regions predominantly represented in expedition records.
Smithsonian Secretaries InformationClose Browse records and papers of the Smithsonian Secretaries, from 1846 until today. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by individuals who have held that office.
Smithsonian Records InformationClose Browse official records created at the Smithsonian Institution’s museums, research centers, libraries, and archives, now in the Smithsonian Institution Archives’ collections. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by major topics or disciplines.
George P. Merrill
- George P. Merrill
- c. 1900
- In 1880-1881 Merrill was appointed aide at the United States Bureau of Fisheries. In July 1881 he transferred to the USNM where he was employed as an aide in the Department of Mineralogy. The following year he was promoted to assistant in the Department's Section of Building Stones. Subsequently, he held positions as acting curator, Department of Lithology and Physical Geology, 1883-1885; curator, Department of Lithology and Physical Geology, 1886- 1890; curator, Department of Geology, 1890-1916; curator, Division of Physical and Chemical Geology (Systematics and Applied), 1898-1929; and head curator, Department of Geology, 1917-1929
- George P. Merrill (1854-1929) was a geologist and head curator of the Department of Geology, United States National Museum from 1917-1929
- For permission to reproduce or publish, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 202-633-5870. To order reproductions, call 202-633-1933 or contact email@example.com
- Curators, Geology, Portraits, Geologists, Smithsonian Institution--Employees
- Merrill, George P (George Perkins) 1854-1929, United States National Museum, United States National Museum Dept. of Geology
- Historic Images of the Smithsonian
- Photographic print, Portraits
- Local Number:
- SIA2009-4249 and 84-10782
- Physical Description:
- Color: Black and White; Size: 4.5w x 7h; Type of Image: Portrait; Medium: Photographic print
- Full Record:
Using the Archives' Collections