Narrow Your Results
Filter Your Results
Smithsonian Museum & Research Centers InformationClose Browse records and papers documenting the history and research of major Smithsonian divisions. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by museum or research center.
Expeditions InformationClose Browse records and papers documenting scientific and collecting expeditions either affiliated with the Smithsonian, or with which Smithsonian researchers participated. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by geographic regions predominantly represented in expedition records.
Smithsonian Secretaries InformationClose Browse records and papers of the Smithsonian Secretaries, from 1846 until today. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by individuals who have held that office.
Smithsonian Records InformationClose Browse official records created at the Smithsonian Institution’s museums, research centers, libraries, and archives, now in the Smithsonian Institution Archives’ collections. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by major topics or disciplines.
William Henry Holmes
- Harris & Ewing Photographers
- William Henry Holmes
- c. 1915
- This portrait of himself has been signed by Holmes. Original Neg. No. is SA-687
- William Henry Holmes, 1846-1933, was an artist, geologist, and anthropologist. A "Renaissance man" of many talents, Holmes was hired by the Smithsonian as an illustrator in 1871, traveling out west on the famed Yellowstone expeditions. Fascinated by the Native American culture he observed out West, in 1889 he joined the staff of the Smithsonian's Bureau of American Ethnology, and directed it from 1902 to 1909. Holmes was also curator of anthropology for the Smithsonian (1897-1932), but never lost his interest in art, and also served as curator and director of the emerging National Gallery of Art (1906-1932), now the Smithsonian American Art Museum. He was known for his landscape paintings of the Washington, D.C., area
- For permission to reproduce or publish, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 202-633-5870. To order reproductions, call 202-633-1933 or contact email@example.com
- Art museum directors, Artists, Portraits, Anthropologists, Archaeologists
- Holmes, William Henry 1846-1933, National Gallery of Art of the Smithsonian, Smithsonian Institution Bureau of American Ethnology, National Museum of American Art (U.S.), National Collection of Fine Arts, National Museum of Natural History (U.S.) Dept. of Anthropology, Smithsonian American Art Museum
- Historic Images of the Smithsonian
- Photographic print
- Local Number:
- Physical Description:
- Color: Black and White; Size: 8w x 10h; Type of Image: Portrait; Medium: Photographic print
- Full Record:
Using the Archives' Collections