Narrow Your Results
Filter Your Results
Smithsonian Secretaries InformationClose Browse records and papers of the Smithsonian Secretaries, from 1846 until today. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by individuals who have held that office.
Smithsonian Museum & Research Centers InformationClose Browse records and papers documenting the history and research of major Smithsonian divisions. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by museum or research center.
Expeditions InformationClose Browse records and papers documenting scientific and collecting expeditions either affiliated with the Smithsonian, or with which Smithsonian researchers participated. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by geographic regions predominantly represented in expedition records.
Samuel F. B. Morse's Letter to Joseph Henry (October 17, 1846)
- Morse, Samuel Finley Breese 1791-1872, Joseph Henry Papers Project
- Samuel F. B. Morse's Letter to Joseph Henry (October 17, 1846)
- October 17, 1846
- The accompanying PDF contains SIA2012-0976, SIA2012-0977, and SIA2012-0978, which are pages scanned from the edited transcript of the original version and notes in the Joseph Henry Papers Volume 6, pages 520-522
- Letter from Samuel F. B. Morse, inventor of the first telegraph, to Joseph Henry, then a professor at Princeton University and later first Secretary of the Smithsonian Institution, October 17, 1846. In the letter, Morse apologizes for offending Henry by not crediting Henry's work in electromagnetism in aiding him in the invention of his telegraph. Though Morse was credited with having invented the first telegraph, Henry asserted that Dr. Leonard Gale, who advised Morse on his first model of an electromagnetic telegraph, was able to correct imperfections in the model because of his knowledge of Henry's principles
- For permission to reproduce or publish, contact email@example.com or call 202-633-5870. To order reproductions, call 202-633-1933 or contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Secretaries, Inventions, Telegraph, Models, Publications, Inventors, Electromagnetism, Science, Letters, Controversies
- Henry, Joseph 1797-1878, Gale, Leonard D (Leonard Dunnell) 1800-1883, Princeton University
- Historic Images of the Smithsonian
- United States
- Document, Paper
- Local Number:
- SIA2012-2899 and SIA2012-2900 and SIA2012-2901 and SIA2012-2902 and SIA2012-2903
- Physical Description:
- Number of Images: 5 ; Color: Color ; Size: 8w x 10h ; Type of Image: Document ; Medium: Paper
- Full Record:
Using the Archives' Collections