Narrow Your Results
Filter Your Results
Smithsonian Museum & Research Centers InformationClose Browse records and papers documenting the history and research of major Smithsonian divisions. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by museum or research center.
- Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory (24)
- Smithsonian Institution Building (17)
- Smithsonian Environmental Research Center (17)
- Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute (8)
- National Museum of Natural History (7)
- All (6)
- National Air and Space Museum (6)
- National Zoological Park (6)
- Freer Gallery of Art (3)
- National Museum of American History (3)
- Smithsonian American Art Museum (3)
- National Portrait Gallery (3)
- Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden (2)
- Anacostia Neighborhood Museum (2)
- United States National Museum (2)
- + Show More
- - Show Less
Smithsonian Secretaries InformationClose Browse records and papers of the Smithsonian Secretaries, from 1846 until today. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by individuals who have held that office.
Smithsonian Records InformationClose Browse official records created at the Smithsonian Institution’s museums, research centers, libraries, and archives, now in the Smithsonian Institution Archives’ collections. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by major topics or disciplines.
Personal Papers InformationClose Browse papers and special collections created by institutions and persons who have contributed to and collaborated with the Smithsonian. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by major topics and disciplines.
Expeditions InformationClose Browse records and papers documenting scientific and collecting expeditions either affiliated with the Smithsonian, or with which Smithsonian researchers participated. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by geographic regions predominantly represented in expedition records.
Oral Histories InformationClose Browse oral and video history collections containing interviews with current and retired Smithsonian staff, and others who have made significant contributions to the Institution. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by major topics or disciplines.
Florence E. Meier Chase
- Tolman, Ruel P (Ruel Pardee) b. 1878
- Florence E. Meier Chase
- c. 1935
- The image is included in Ruel P. Tolman's, former Director of Smithsonian National Collection of Fine Arts, scrapbook of photographs of Smithsonian staff, grounds and buildings, exhibitions, and Washington, D.C. scenes, (Section C)
- In her office at the Smithsonian Institution Building, or the "Castle," Florence E. Meier Chase (1902-1978) is seated in a chair looking into a microscope. Chase was a botanist with the Radiation Biology Laboratory, part of the Smithsonian's Astrophysical Observatory. Dr. Chase received her B.A. from Wellesley College and her Ph.D. from the University of Geneva in Switzerland. The image has some perforations running through it
- No restrictions
- Scientific apparatus and instruments, Microscopes, Radiobiology, Smithsonian Institution--Employees, Botanists
- Chase, Florence Meier, Radiation Biology Laboratory, Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory, Smithsonian Institution Building (Washington, D.C.)
- Historic Images of the Smithsonian
- Photographic print, Person, candid
- Local Number:
- SIA2011-0099 or 32399-
- Physical Description:
- Number of Images: 1; Color: Sepia; Size: 2.20w x 2.50h; Type of Image: Person, candid ; Medium: Photographic print
- Full Record:
Using the Archives' Collections