The Bigger Picture: Visual Archives and the Smithsonian
Posts tagged with: Cities/Places
On December 5, 1961 the Smithsonian announced that Alice Pike Barney's Studio House was donated to the Smithsonian by her daughters Natalie and Laura Barney. Alice Pike Barney was an American painter born in 1857 in Ohio. During the late 1800s, she spent time in Paris where she studied painting and began a salon in the home she rented there. When Barney returned to her home in Washington, D.C., she put a lot of effort into turning the city into a center for the arts. She had solo shows at the Corcoran Gallery of Art and other major galleries. After her death in 1931, the Studio House became the property of her two daughters, who donated it to the Smithsonian in 1961. In 1976, the house was opened as part of the National Museum of American Art, now the Smithsonian American Art Museum. In April 1995 the Alice Pike Barney Studio House was placed on the National Registry of Historic Places. The house remained in the possession of the Smithsonian until 1999, and it now serves as the Embassy of Latvia in Washington, D.C.
- Barney House given to the Smithsonian, Chronology of Smithsonian History, Smithsonian Institution Archives
- Summer Wind to Ban-y-Bryn, The Bigger Picture blog, Smithsonian Institution Archives
- Accession 96-153 - Alice Pike Barney Papers, 1861-1965, Smithsonian Institution Archives
Last week the Smithsonian announced a new plan for the South Mall side of the National Mall, which includes the Smithsonian Castle, the Arthur M. Sacker Gallery, the National Museum of African Art, the S. Dillon Ripley International Center, the Enid A. Haupt Garden, the Arts & Industries Building, and the Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden.
Historically the area has played host to a variety of functions and buildings, specifically the South Yard, located behind the Smithsonian Castle, lies in between the Arts and Industries Building and the Freer Gallery of Art and has been the location for a variety of things over the years. In the late 19th century, one could find several small buildings for the Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory, Taxidermy Studio, National Zoological Park, and Aerodrome Studio. After World War I, a Quonset hut housed the National Air Museum (today, the National Air and Space Museum), next to the Radiation Biology Laboratory (today, the Smithsonian Environmental Research Center) greenhouses. In 1976, the South Yard was converted to a Victorian Garden to welcome visitors. In the 1980s, the area was excavated to create the Quadrangle Complex, with underground buildings for the National Museum of African Art, the Arthur M. Sackler Gallery, and the S. Dillon Ripley International Center. Pavilion entrances to these buildings are nestled within the Enid A. Haupt Garden.
Adapted from The South Yard online exhibition, Smithsonian Institution Archives
- Cost - $73.2 million (including $36.6 million in federal appropriations)
- From Start to Opening - From formal groundbreaking on June 21, 1983 to formal opening, September 28, 1987: 1560 days
- Dimensions - Garden: 4.2 acres; Total complex: 360,000 square feet, including the above-ground pavillions; 96% of the complex is below ground.
- The South Yard, online exhibition, Smithsonian Institution Archives
- Historic Images of the South Yard of the Smithsonian Institution Building from the Smithsonian Institution Archives
- Accession 89-136 - Smithsonian Institution, Deputy Assistant Secretary for External Affairs, Quadrangle Records, 1984-1987, Smithsonian Institution Archives
- Accession 95-025 - Smithsonian Institution, Office of Development, Quadrangle Campaign Records, 1979-1986, Smithsonian Institution Archives
- Accession 93-097 - Visitor Information and Associates' Reception Center, Public Inquiry Mail Service, Quadrangle Funding Project Patrons' Register, 1987-1991, Smithsonian Institution Archives
- Accession 88-145 - Office of Facilities Services, Project Files, 1984-1987, Smithsonian Institution Archives
- Accession 09-161 - Office of Facilities Services, Project Files, 1965-1984, Smithsonian Institution Archives
- Accession 03-026 - Office of Telecommunications, Productions, 1982-1983, 1987, Smithsonian Institution Archives
- Record Unit 410 - Office of Public Affairs, Publicity Records, circa 1965-1974, 1987, Smithsonian Institution Archives