The Bigger Picture: Visual Archives and the Smithsonian
Link Love: 7/27/2012
by Catherine Shteynberg on July 27, 2012
- The Smithsonian’s National Air and Space Museum remembers Sally Ride, the first woman in space, who sadly passed away this week.
- Wired UK reports on how museums are a crucial aspect of preserving our digital heritage [via Lynda Schmitz Fuhrig, SIA].
- You can transcribe it! Explore the results of the US National Archives’ transcription pilot project, which has the public helping to transcribe documents in their collections in Wikisource. Perhaps you can help?
- Who knew one of my favorite sitcoms was hanging out at the Smithsonian this week?! Check out behind-the-scenes photos of Parks and Rec filming at the Smithsonian’s National Museum of American History.
- Olympics mania has begin. Read more about Olympics-related collections and programming across the Smithsonian.
- An animated TED talk I’ve enjoyed this week—a timeline of the history of electricity research [via Neatorama]:
Leave a comment
Connecting you to America’s past with a behind-the-scenes exploration of the Smithsonian’s history, treasures, and the challenges that Archives face preserving collections. More details...