The Bigger Picture: Visual Archives and the Smithsonian
Link Love: 7/23/2010
by Catherine Shteynberg on July 23, 2010
- Tyler Green of Modern Art Notes posts an interview with Secretary Clough that includes a mention of the Smithsonian Photography Initiative and Institution’s overall prioritization of digitizing and archiving photographs.
- Time sink! The BBC launched a World Music Archive this morning! There are well-known faves like Ali Farka Toure and Robert Plant at the Festival of the Desert, but more unfamiliar bits, like cowboy music from rurual Brazil [via The Independent].
- Nine historical archives that will spill the beans on important world events in the upcoming years . . .
- Art sleuthing—the New York Times explores conservators, forgery, and whether or not fakery can be beautiful.
- Rare photos of a young Elvis interacting with fans have been found by archivists sorting through documents from Elvis’ father’s office.
- Libraries + Old Spice:
Leave a comment
Connecting you to America’s past with a behind-the-scenes exploration of the Smithsonian’s history, treasures, and the challenges that Archives face preserving collections. More details...