The Bigger Picture: Visual Archives and the Smithsonian
Link Love: 6/7/2013
by Mitch Toda on June 7, 2013
- Around the Washington, DC area it is definitely feeling like summer and one of the awesome parts of the summer experience are the fireflies that come out in the evening. Photographer Yume Cyan takes some amazing long exposures of fireflies in the forests arouns Nagoya City, Japan. [via Colossal]
- Recently, the National Museum of American History acquired the guitar of Hawaiian slack key guitarist Reverend Dennis Kamakahi.
- Last week, the Chicago Sun-Times laid off its entire staff of photographers. Al Podgorski, one of the photographers, decided to capture the moment he and his colleagues got the news. [via PetaPixel]
- Familiar to archivists everywhere: The despised paper fastener gets its day in the spotlight at the National Archives. [via Prologue: Pieces of History, NARA]
- In part 2 of a series on preserving family history, Bertram Lyons, an archivist at the American Folklife Center of the Library of Congress, answers questions about preserving film and photographs. [via The New York Times]
- Celebrate archives! This coming Sunday, June 9 is the 6th Annual International Archives Day! [via Jennifer Wright, SIA]
- To promote its summer reading program the Seattle Public Library set up a record breaking domino chain of 2131 books. [via InfoDocket]
Leave a comment
Connecting you to America’s past with a behind-the-scenes exploration of the Smithsonian’s history, treasures, and the challenges that Archives face preserving collections. More details...