The Bigger Picture: Visual Archives and the Smithsonian
Link Love: 2/24/2012
by Catherine Shteynberg on February 24, 2012
- Do you follow Historypin's Pinner of the Week on Facebook? I always love seeing these new collections--this week's belongs to SueWalkerWhite for her amazing collection of early 1900s photographs.
- Could it be you? The Smithsonian's Field Book Project is looking for an intern.
- Exciting news: not only did Obama speak at this week's groundbreaking of the Smithsonian's National Museum of African American History and Culture, but the museum also has a new website!
- Hmm, I never knew!: the origins of the name of the Chandra X-ray Center, which is operated for NASA by the Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory.
- So incredibly beautiful and cool: fish, inside and out (really!), from the National Museum of Natural History’s division of fishes.
- Fascinating finds: Michael Pahn, a musician and an archivist at the Smithsonian's National Museum of the American Indian, talks about the universal quality of music, and some of his favorite music-related collections at the Smithsonian, including the video below:
Leave a comment
Connecting you to America’s past with a behind-the-scenes exploration of the Smithsonian’s history, treasures, and the challenges that Archives face preserving collections. More details...