The Bigger Picture: Visual Archives and the Smithsonian
Link Love: 2/17/2012
by Catherine Shteynberg on February 17, 2012
- Envelopes from famous people.
- Has it already been four years? Happy (belated) anniversary to the Flickr Commons (which as you probably know, we’re big fans of…).
- “Dear photograph . . .” A really wonderful photo site [via Lynda Schmitz Fuhrig, SIA].
- Have you heard of the Adopt-a-Museum Project? Champion your own favorite “unsung hero” of the museum world on their site, which will be added to the project’s map. (And feel free to add your favorite “gem” of a museum in the comments below.)
- Text-heavy, but interesting. A report on how technology is changing the research and digitization needs of historians [via @dancohen].
- A fun way to while away an afternoon. A new archive of vintage American ads: the Jay Paull Vintage Print Advertisements collection [via Jennifer Wright, SIA].
- This week marked what would have been Thomas Edison’s 165th birthday. Learn a bit more about this fascinating man in the video below [via Neatorama]:
Leave a comment
Connecting you to America’s past with a behind-the-scenes exploration of the Smithsonian’s history, treasures, and the challenges that Archives face preserving collections. More details...