The Bigger Picture: Visual Archives and the Smithsonian
Link Love: 12/10/2010
by Catherine Shteynberg on December 10, 2010
- The Library of Congress has posted nearly 700 Civil War photos to the Flickr Commons.
- Forget Tomb Raider—an Archive Raider is much cooler.
- How is the discoverer of the poinsettia plant, Joel Poinsett, connected to SIA and the Smithsonian? Find out more on the Around the Mall blog.
- It’s like first aid for your books: Archives Outside gives detailed directions about how to make your own book splints to protect fragile books from damage.
- The National Archives is sponsoring a Bill of Rights contest on their Twitter feed. Shorten each amendment down to as few words as possible and Tweet them your response at #BillofRights.
- Here’s your chance to contribute to the Smithsonian’s collections! The National Museum of American History is seeking objects from Chinese restaurants for their Chinese American history and culture collections. Check out the details here.
- So, I saw this some time ago, but it’s worth sharing anyhow. Musically interpreted famous artworks through the centuries:
"70 Millions," by Hold Your Horses
Leave a comment
Connecting you to America’s past with a behind-the-scenes exploration of the Smithsonian’s history, treasures, and the challenges that Archives face preserving collections. More details...