The Bigger Picture: Visual Archives and the Smithsonian
Link Love: 11/8/2013
by Mitch Toda on November 8, 2013
- Now on view at the National Archives is the exhibition, Discovery and Recovery: Preserving Iraqi Jewish Heritage, which presents the story of the dramatic recovery of 2,700 books and tens of thousands of documents from a flooded basement in the headquarters of the Mukhabarat, Saddam Hussein’s secret police. [via AOTUS blog, NARA]
- We hope you are ready for it, Innovation is coming to the Arts and Industries Building !!!
- Advice on how to do family history research, part 1. [via New York Times]
- Historic costumes are on exhibit at the Folger Shakespeare Library, historic smell and all. [via The Collation blog, Folger Shakespeare Library]
- A warm welcome to Folklife Today, the new blog of the Library of Congress' American Folklife Center.
- May the WARC be with you, searching for the true meaning of web archiving. [via The Signal: Digital Preservation, LOC]
- By now most of us are familiar with the variety of memes that can spread across the web like a virus, however this same type of spread of information can also be found in the 19th century albeit through different channels. [via MapLab, Wired]
- For more about the Iraqi Jewish Archive, check out the video below.
Leave a comment
Connecting you to America’s past with a behind-the-scenes exploration of the Smithsonian’s history, treasures, and the challenges that Archives face preserving collections. More details...