The Bigger Picture: Visual Archives and the Smithsonian
Link Love: 6/1/2012
by Catherine Shteynberg on June 1, 2012
- This week marks the Golden Gate Bridge’s 75th anniversary. Check out the amazing photo above of Amelia Earhart flying above the bridge in her Lockheed Electra, and more photos of this American Icon at Fans in a Flashbulb.
- “In the battle to digitize paperwork, paper is winning” says @blefurgy, referencing this LATimes article.
- Apparently loss of data is on everyone’s mind. The BBC looks at how key aspects of modern Scottish life are being lost in a digital archive “black hole” [via INFOdocket].
- Steve Jobs at the Smithsonian: 312 amazing patents on display.
- Prince William writes a story about his Gran (yes, that’s The Queen) on Historypin, a website where individuals and organizations including the Archives, post historic photos and stories.
- Twenty years after the opening of the vast archives left behind by the Stasi—communist East Germany's despised intelligence service—thousands of collaborators are still being unmasked [via @Ausflatfish]:
Leave a comment
Connecting you to America’s past with a behind-the-scenes exploration of the Smithsonian’s history, treasures, and the challenges that Archives face preserving collections. More details...